By the early 1960s, Rush Rhees Library was full. Space for both staff and collections was at a premium, and some materials were being housed off-site.
In 1970, a major addition to the original 1930 building was opened--almost doubling the square footage of the building--with many spaces in the original 1930 building remodeled to serve new uses.
The addition was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on April 23 and 24, 1970. This online exhibition recalls the dedication events, the three years of construction, and contrasts the current use and appearance of the spaces with their 1970 look.
For a history of the University of Rochester Libraries from 1850 to 1970, see:
- The History of the University of Rochester Libraries--120 Years (Catherine Hayes, Library Bulletin)
The addresses at the dedication made be read here:
- Addresses at the dedication (page 25)