90 Years Beside the Genesee

October 2020 marks 90 years since the dedication of the River Campus. The groundbreaking ceremony occurred in May 1927, and the Campus opened a remarkable three and a half years later in October 1930.

This online exhibit features the Josef Schiff portfolio of photographs of the campus taken that autumn with the assistance of Louis Ouzer. Primarily exterior views, the images capture the silent beauty of the unoccupied grounds which would soon teem with students, faculty, and staff.

The text is drawn from a physical exhibit mounted in the Great Hall of Rush Rhees Library in 2005 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the dedication of the River Campus, and was co-curated by Nancy Martin (University Archivist, 2000-2012) and Melissa S. Mead.