On West Main Street
The print of “Rochester from the West” was created by the artist John William Hill and engraved by D.W. Moody. This extremely popular image was reproduced in at least two sizes.
According to scholar John W. Reps, the artist “used the simple but dramatic perspective method for his portrait of Rochester. Like other high-level urban images, this invites the observer to enter the picture and roam around in search of details of city life in a busy and prospering community on the Erie Canal.”
The first home of the University was in a former hotel which opened in 1826 to serve the travelers on the new Erie Canal. The University would occupy it from 1850 to 1861.
Although President Anderson was opposed to dormitories—preferring students to board with local families—there was housing for students in an extension on the back of the building.
Silas Cornell created at least three maps of Rochester in its early decades, each one showing the growing size and complexity of the city.