A University trustee from 1853-65, Azariah Boody was a railroad contractor and congressman. His gift of land to the University in 1853 was soon developed into the Prince Street campus.
At the time of their founding in the 19th century, Victorian cemeteries also served as public parks and open air museums. Mt. Hope features flower gardens and fountains, chapels and mausoleums in various revival styles, and classically inspired monuments sculpted by some of the finest artist of their day, as seen here in the allegorical figure of hope.